Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hello. My Name is Melanie, and I’m Tech-Savvy.

Or rather I would like you to think I am, but I’ll let you in on a not-so-big secret...I’m not. How long can one blame technology for their own personal inadequacies? Just curious. I’d like to see how long I can keep up with my lame and pathetic techno excuses before my friends start pounding on my door, or my family puts out an APB to determine if I am alive or not.

SLEEPING: I overslept on Sunday and missed all 3 of the AM services (AHEM). I didn’t correctly set my alarm on my new Smartphone. I thought I had it all set and went to bed all proud of my accomplishment. Now in my defense, I was really exhausted and probably needed the sleep (see previous post about the crazy hike around the city the day prior, which incidentally really means that this is all Becky’s fault). So when I woke up after 10, I was feeling pretty amazing and then groaned as I saw the clock. I didn’t think I could sleep in that late any more. HA! Just proved myself wrong. Well, lesson learned. I have now figured out the alarm and have gotten up on time at 5 AM every day since. Go, Mel!

VOICEMAIL: It took me a couple of days to figure out how to set-up my voicemail. I kept trying to record a personal message, and it wasn’t working – something about recording issues. It wasn’t picking up my voice. UGH! Where the heck is the microphone on this phone anyway? OK, so I finally found it and then gave a lecture about how things need to be clearly marked. Come on, what happened to all-inclusive user guides that clearly identify everything for you? I miss those days – forget the fact that I can access that very guide online at any moment on the same-said Smartphone. That doesn’t matter. I wanted it in black and white and in my hands, like now.

CALLS: I have missed a couple of calls from friends. I once was accused of screening my calls, but I’m not doing that right now – honest! I just couldn’t figure out how to answer my phone. Oh and while we are talking about calls...how is it possible that the telemarketers have already found me? Seriously. My first 2 calls were from somebody selling something! HA!

Yes, I think my Smartphone and I are going to come to workable terms eventually. He is a bit quirky. Yes, my phone is definitely male. No doubt about it. He doesn’t think or act like a girl at all. He’s all logical and stuff, and he doesn’t seem to read my mind or notice my frustration level, and so I have to totally spell it out for him. DUH! Hee hee! So I guess until he and I team up and learn to more effectively communicate with one another, I might miss a few more telemarketer calls or fail to catch a voicemail promptly. But please don’t despair. There is hope. We’ll get it together sooner or later.

Hey, on the upside, did I mention that I can update my Facebook, MySpace and Twitter all in one fail swoop? I like that option. Makes me feel like I am really communicating. HA!

Gotta run. Must Tweet.

No comments: