Monday, January 23, 2012

Borrowing a Line from "Something Borrowed"

I have a little book of quotes that I update with favorite lines I hear in a film or on TV, read in a book or catch in a conversation. Tonight, I wrote down another good one. It was in the movie Something Borrowed.

This was my second time watching the film, and as before, I was crying throughout a couple of scene. One scene in particular touches me for some reason. Rachel and Ethan, two close friends, are discussing Rachel’s recent love life turmoil and how she feels like second place or the runner up in her relationships, and Ethan decides to bare his soul and tell Rachel how special she is to him...
Rachel: “I want to be someone’s first choice.”
Ethan: “Yeah. You are…You are home for me.”
It’s a sweet moment. However, Rachel and Ethan don’t go off into the sunset together. She loves another and doesn’t feel the same for Ethan despite his heartfelt confession. But his simple line telling her that she is “home” for him, moves me deeply. I want that.

I don’t like all the aspects of Something Borrowed. The main characters are flawed and make some selfish choices, hurting each other along the way. It’s not always pretty or neat and tidy. But that is, after all, what REAL life is like. It’s messy, and we’re all stumbling to get through it as best we can. In a way, we're all searching for our ideal "home" - whether that is found in a location, a person or something more...
 

No comments: