Sunday, January 1, 2012

I’m a Showtime series junkie. I can’t handle all of it, mind you – just the shows that make me think and go deep or make me feel alive. The writing on a couple of Showtime’s series is phenomenal, and I’m a fan.

I’ve watched Dexter from the beginning. Season 1 still is my favorite, but I’m rather obsessed with seeing what else Dexter will get into with each new season. I love it. It’s raw, edgy and brilliantly crafted, and the acting is superb.

Now, I’m guessing that some of my friends and family members would be surprised that I watch Dexter. Admittedly, it is not a family show, not in any way, shape or form. Nearly every show has nudity. Yes, I think the show could do without it. Personally, I don’t get men’s obsession with the female form, and I don’t ever think I will. In addition, the language on the show is often foul. I don’t generally cuss like a sailor (at least not in public), but most scenes with the character “Deb” involve ready access to the “F” word. It’s her calling card!

But despite what some may call “flaws,” I find the show gripping. I’m reeled in time and time again with the plot twists, sitting on the edge of my seat breathlessly waiting for more. I find myself connected to the show and its quirky characters. AND that, I believe, is the real draw – the human connection.

This December, I caught up with a new Showtime series, Homeland. A co-worker (a fellow Dexter aficionado) recommended it to me, and so I checked it out for myself. I was hooked from episode 1. The show is a lot different from Dexter, but the top notch writing is vividly portrayed by the incredible acting of all the key players.

The show would almost fit in on one of the basic primetime networks. I said ALMOST because in truth, I think it is best left on Showtime right where it is. I don’t think primetime viewers are ready for it quite yet. I found the plot rather intriguing and the questions raised compelling. I like hearing other perspectives and having to own the reality that my own world view is limited and tainted by my own experiences and learnings. No one has all the answers. That is humbling and real. I liked it. 

No comments: