Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I'm Happy for Indianapolis, but...

My name is Melanie, and I don’t like American football.

There I said it. Don’t judge me too harshly. I’ve never liked football really. The last football game I enjoyed had nothing to do with the game and everything to do with a cute boy off the field. I was 15. And while I am on this full disclosure kick, let me be completely honest…

  • I didn’t know who Tim Tebow was until  2 weeks ago. No shame here, but I had to Google him to find out. HA!
  • I didn’t know who was going to be playing in the Super Bowl until my company hung up banners for the 2 teams and with a little sleuthing I figured it out.
  • I’m not going to watch any of the Super Bowl coverage. I’ll probably watch Downton Abbey instead. Yes, I prefer watching a program about an English country estate to that of viewing a bunch of men in helmets chasing each other around a field.
  • I won’t be participating in any of the Super Bowl events around the city. I’m not crazy about crowds or insane traffic, and so I’ll probably stay home and read a book.
So there it is: I don’t like American football.

It doesn’t mean that I am un-American. My 17-year-old nephew already tried that line of logic with me. He suggested that my European travels have warped my ties to my native soil. HA! Silly boy! I didn’t like football long BEFORE my overseas excursions.

It doesn’t mean that I’m not supportive of Indiana. Are you kidding me? I support plenty of things in Indiana. I’m a member or a frequent visitor of many of the local museums, the zoo and cultural organizations around the city of Indianapolis. I love introducing guests to local attractions, and I spend plenty of money each year exploring my current state of residence.

It doesn’t mean that I don’t like sports period. I grew up on hockey and baseball. I played soccer, softball and rugby at summer camp. I’m not anti-sports at all. I especially love the Olympics, and this July, I’ll be watching with special interest as London plays host to the 2012 Olympics.

I just don’t like American football. It’s not my thing. It’s not something I am interested in or feel compelled to care about. I’ve explained it all before to most of you, and I don’t need to repeat myself.

You have your interests, your likes and dislikes; and I have mine. I’m happy for you, and I will support YOU as you pursue your interests and passions. And I hope you can learn to do the same for me...even though football just isn't a part of my life. 

No comments: