Thursday, March 16, 2006

Girls' Roadtrip

WOOHOO!!! I’m so excited about my fun weekend plans. Kristen and I haven’t taken a roadtrip together in a while, and so it should be great. Plus it’s not as insane as our 12-hour drive straight through to Charleston in 2003…this is only a short little jaunt down to Louisville, KY. So less time spent in the car and more time visiting our friend Stephanie and seeing the sights. Now that’s what I call living!

I’ve been practicing my pronunciation of Louisville all week. See, I had been chastised by some Southerners in my office for saying “Louie-ville” or “Lewisville,” and both, according to the experts are dead wrong. I guess it is correctly pronounced as “Louilllville” or maybe “Luellville,” but it all just makes me laugh!

A friend was telling me just this week that some people from Europe feel that Kentucky English is extra bizarre, and so now, I’m really going to pay attention and listen to conversations. One gentleman from Germany told my friend that Kentucky English is completely foreign to him. He can’t decipher it at all. Now, I know I’ve run into some major U.S. accents in the past, but I can usually figure things out. However, I guess to those not born on U.S. soil, those diverse accents from different regions sound like distinct and separate languages and dialects for them to detect. Very curious!

So now I’m off on another roadtrip adventure…YIPPEE! I guess this is another one of those “good-to-be-a-singleton” moments. No significant other to run plans by, no child care to arrange, etc. Hey, it’s moments like these that I need to stop and savor!

No comments: