Monday, July 23, 2007

Book 7: No Spoilers, I Promise!

On a whim, I called my friend Becky on Friday morning and left her a message about posibly going with me on Friday evening/early Saturday morning to wait in line to pick up my reserved copy of Harry Potter. To my shock, she called back and said she was excited about it. So I picked her up at 11 PM on Friday night (which is like 2 hours past her bedtime) and we headed to Borders.

We got there and found hundreds of people ahead of us. They just were handing out wristbands to indicate where you were in line by color. There were 150 people with each different color, and so I got a green band, which meant I was in the 4th group of 150 people. WOW!! And this was just in one of the stores in Indy.

So Becky and I took a walk around the shopping plaza, sat outside in the cool night air and then finally walked around the store while we were waiting for the clock to strike midnight. Then at 12:01 AM, book 7 went on sale. WOOHOO!! When they called for green to start lining up, they also made a call for blue, and then suddenly there were tons of us lined up for the book. At first the lines seemed to move so slowly, but then it starting moving more rapidly and by 1:05 AM, we were headed back to the car. I just HAD to start the book when I got home. I read 2 chapters and headed to bed.

On Saturday, I slept until noon and then ran errands and watched a couple of rented DVDs that needed to go back Saturday night. I started to read the book again around 9 PM, and I read until after midnight and then headed to bed. Well, 4 hours later, I was still wide awake playing book 7 over and over in my head. So at 4:30 AM, I finally got out of bed and headed out to the living room for my favorite chair to read some more. 4 and a half hours later, I realized I wasn't going to make it to the 9:30 AM service at church, and so I kept reading and a hour later, I was done with the book, and it was time to shower and get ready to head to the tennis tournament.

So what did I think of the book? I laughed, I cried, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Book 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows lived up to the hype. It was was another excellent reading adventure! I was able to guess at a couple of outcomes in the book, but there were some things that truly surprised me. I would highly recommend it. I would however suggest that you not stay up all night and read it. Get some sleep, but then again, if you are like me, and you get really involved in what you are reading, you might have some insomnia and HAVE to get out of bed and finish the book anyway...

No comments: