Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bonding With St. Louis

There is some debate amongst my family and friends as to whether or not a person can take too many photos. I heartily believe that it is not possible to take too many. In fact, the more pics, the better, and I regularly practice this aforementioned theory.

This weekend was no exception. I came back from my 4-day weekend to St. Louis with 1,180+ photos to upload from my digital camera. WOOHOO!! Maybe that seems like a lot, but I'd rather have too many than too few. I love visiting St. Louis. There is just something magical about that city that calls me back time and time again. I’m crazy about it.

Forest Park is the most amazing city park I have ever visited. Truly it is! The park is full of meandering walks and inspiring views. The setting is incredible – filled with trees, lakes, picturesque bridges, etc. – and the architecture of the buildings is spectacular as well. Personally, I never get tired of the St. Louis Art Museum matched against the lovely Grand Basin lake below it. It’s a photographer’s dream.

There is a seemingly endless supply of things to do in Forest Park – tour the art museum, visit the animals at the zoo, walk up the steps to the 1904 World’s Fair Pavilion, explore the Science Center and Planetarium, jet back in time via the History Museum, climb onto a giant turtle’s back in Turtle Park, and so much more.

The Missouri Botanical Gardens are breathtaking. Each visit I discover something “new” that I hadn’t noticed before. The gardens are large and plentiful with amazing blooms and vivid foliage. I particularly enjoy the water lilies growing in the many ponds strewn about the property. The rose gardens are spectacular, and I could spend hours walking amidst the colorful and fragrant displays of GOD’s handiwork there. Yes, the Missouri Botanical Gardens are a favorite haunt of mine.

The Gateway Arch is a must-see stop for a visitor to St. Louis. The riverside park offers majestic views of the monument as well as riverboat tours, helicopter rides and other tourist offerings. Every guest must take the tram ride to the top of the arch at least once. I’ve ridden to the top several times in the past, and so it’s not a requirement on every visit any more, but it is worth doing at least once.

The City Museum is incredibly hard to describe. It’s unlike any museum I’ve ever visited. Housed in 600,000 square feet, the museum is like a giant playground/funhouse for adults and children alike. There are man-made caves to explore, giant slides to descend on, tree houses to climb, etc. It’s a whimsical, magical place that kind of reminds me of a Tim Burton movie -- more like The Nightmare Before Christmas rather than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's a bit dark, a tad bit spooky and full of surprises.

The big WOW! factor for me was the the outdoor playground complete with 2 salvaged planes, an old fire truck, giant wrought-iron slinkies, a castle turret, etc., and all of this 2-5 stories off the ground. As touted on the website, it is “the most monumental, monolithic, monstrous montage of monkey bars in the world.” Yes, that it is. All I can say is that I was glad I didn’t have any young kids with me. If I were a parent, I might have been a nervous wreck, but as it stands right now, I’m ready to go back again any time.

Yes, St. Louis is pretty awesome. It’s a fabulous place to explore. I’d highly recommend you plan your own adventure to this incredible city.

P.S. I realize, it might seem a tad bit strange that I did not post any photos of my weekend in St. Lou yet.  Well, I do have my work cut out for me -- what with 1,180 photos to review, etc. I hope to get some posted in the near future.

DISCLAIMER: The author of said blog did not receive any financial incentives or kick-backs for the above posting that highlights some of the attractions in the St. Louis area. However, said author may be willing to discuss such options in the future should an offer come along.

No comments: