Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Warm Welcome to Autumn

Autumn begins later today, and I’m ready for it. Yes, I think I blog about this every year…how I start to smell caramel apples and burning leaves, start craving candy corn and turkey (not in the same bite, mind you), and start breathing better and enjoying the great outdoors more. So the temps are still higher in the Hoosier state than I think they should be right now -- I acknowledge that, but I choose to be optimistic and cling to the idea that crisp, cooler air is coming in the weeks ahead. Yes, I am in love with fall.

And while we're on the subject of fall and love, I've decided that if I ever fall in love with an actual human being (rather than a character in a film or novel), I want it to be in autumn. If I meet a guy in the spring that I sense I’m falling for, I’ll just tell him to give me a call in October. I don’t want to be rude about it, but autumn is just better for me all around.

Great! Now I’ve got this sentimental song from Camelot in my head… (sigh!) Happy Fall, Everybody!

If Ever I Would Leave You
by Frederick Loewe (sung here by Robert Goulet)

If ever I would leave you
It wouldn't be in summer.
Seeing you in summer I never would go.
Your hair streaked with sun-light,
Your lips red as flame,
Your face with a lustre
that puts gold to shame!

But if I'd ever leave you,
It couldn't be in autumn.
How I'd leave in autumn I never will know.
I've seen how you sparkle
When fall nips the air.
I know you in autumn
And I must be there.

And could I leave you
running merrily through the snow?
Or on a wintry evening
when you catch the fire's glow?

If ever I would leave you,
how could it be in spring-time?
Knowing how in spring I'm bewitched by you so?
Oh, no! not in spring-time!
Summer, winter or fall!
No, never could I leave you at all!

No comments: