Thursday, September 23, 2010

Did You Know…

That we lose 1,000 U.S. World War II veterans every day?

I sure didn’t, but now I do.

I called my 85-year-old Uncle Gilbert (aka Gib) this week to catch up with him. I am going to be traveling to St. Louis this weekend, and I’m hoping to connect with him. He’s a charming gentleman, and I could listen to his stories for hours. We got to talking about his service in the Navy during WWII, and he shared his recent excursion with the Honor Flight, which involved an all-expenses-paid day trip to our nation’s Capitol to visit the monuments and spend time with fellow WWII veterans. I was intrigued and eager to find more about it.

Honor Flight Network is a non-profit organization created solely to honor America's veterans for all their sacrifices. We transport our heroes to Washington, D.C. to visit and reflect at their memorials. Top priority is given to the senior veterans – World War II survivors, along with those other veterans who may be terminally ill. Of all of the wars in recent memory, it was World War II that truly threatened our very existence as a nation—and as a culturally diverse, free society. Now, with over one thousand World War II veterans dying each day, our time to express our thanks to these brave men and women is running out.”
I had never heard of the Honor Flight Network, and so I wanted to pass along the knowledge. If you get the opportunity to donate to this cause, please do so. It sounds like a wonderful way to express our gratitude to these brave men and women who risked their lives for future generations (that’s us).

No comments: