Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Long Hot Summer

I rewatched the original A Long Hot Summer with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward this weekend. I've seen the movie several times, but this time I was captivated by this conversation between the 2 main characters...

Clara Varner: Mr. Quick, I am a human being. Do you know that means? It means I set a high price on my self--a high, high price. You may be surprised to know it, but I’ve got quite a lot to give. I’ve got things I have been saving up my whole life--like love and understanding and...and jokes and good times and good cooking. I’m prepared to be the Queen of Sheba for some lucky man or at the very least, the best wife that any man could hope for. Now that’s my human history ,and it’s not gonna be bought and sold, and it’s certainly not going to be given away to any passing stranger.

Ben Quick: All right then run, lady, and you keep on running. Buy yourself a bus ticket and disappear. Change your name, dye your hair--get lost! And then maybe, just maybe you’re gonna be safe from me.
It made me think again...which can be dangerous in the life of Melanie. But this time there were no tears, no drama, no ranting and raving about how it sucks to be single. This time I just smiled to myself and said aloud: I've got a lot to give, too. Now somebody is missing out. I just don't know who.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Just for the record...When I say that I've got a lot to give, I don't mean that in a vain-I'm-so- wonderful-who-could-resist-me sort of way. Truly, I don't.

What I do mean is that I have a lot to give...a lifetime of stories, friends, family and dreams to share, and I'm hoping that I find someone to share them with because it's an awful lot to keep to myself.

Howard: You can come out now! AHEM!