Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Time Has a Way of Getting Away From Us

I’ve been taking apart some old photo albums recently. It’s time to dismantle the magnetic albums, get the pictures scanned, and then put the photos into a REAL PVC-free scrapbook for safe-keeping. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while now, but after reconnecting with several of my cohorts from Camp Spearhead, I decided to do it now rather than later. I thought the gang would enjoy the trip down memory lane, too, and I hope they really do.

Just looking back at old photos makes me giggle.
What was I thinking with that short haircut? It was an awful look even in my sorted and amusing arsenal of bad hairstyles.

Why did I wear white socks with that outfit? So tacky!

And where did I get those colossal Elton John glasses? They practically cover my whole face!
Then comes the sighing, reminiscing and trying to remember the names to put with those faces in the photographs.
Whatever happened to Clay, Mary, Tamra, Ben, BJ, Andy, Mike, Grant, Frankie, Rebecca, Chriss, Matt G., Matt L., Brandi, Deb, Tricia, Corey, Lanae, Darnell, Janelle and Moldy?

Is Emma and the fam still in Savannah? I need to call her.

Where is Shawn Vile? I remember getting a wedding invitation from him a few years back, but I haven’t heard from him since.

I remember taking that photo. We were trying to see how many people we could get into that phone book at Carowinds. Hilarious!

HA! This was the time BJ followed through on his threat to Bobbie Jo. He told her that if she didn’t leave he and Jamie alone, he was going to--- NAH! You just have to see the picture to understand.

What was this guy’s name again and wasn’t he dating another counselor that summer? Yeah! They were into pythons, I think.
Then comes a short wave of sadness.
I should have kept in touch with people more. [sigh!] I didn’t completely drop off the radar or anything, but I didn’t stay connected with too many of these familiar faces either. Time has a way of making us let go, and I think it’s healthy really. Most people come in and out of our lives for a season or two, and if we stayed as connected to each and every one of them, we’d never get anything else done! So the distance settles in for a while, we meet new friends and time passes…and then one day, we get reconnected on facebook, and the cycle starts up again.
Yes, I do miss those hot, sunny days at Camp Spearhead. I miss waking up and finding a camper standing over me in the middle of the night, I miss the laughter and daily camp routine, but most of all, I miss the people (both the campers and counselors alike) that I was privileged to know and spend time with. Those were good times, but my life now isn’t bad either.

2 comments:

Skipper Lou said...

it is bitter sweet to remember isnt it?

Melanie said...

Yep, but it's all good. GOD puts us right where HE wants us for a season.