Monday, May 10, 2010

Facing Facts

I’m trying disposable contacts for the first time in a couple of years, and so I’m trying to get used to my face again.

I’ve worn glasses since the 2nd grade, I think. It started with the specs for reading only. Little Miss Bookworm needed them a lot as I read every Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, and Hardy Boys book at the local library. I would wear them in school as needed, but I would whip them off as soon as I could. I didn’t want to be teased or known as four eyes.

In junior high and high school, I wore glasses more frequently but rarely for pictures and certainly not when a cute guy was around. By the time, I reached college, I wore them all the time for safety reasons. It was suddenly more important to see where I was going, be able to take notes in lectures, see who I was conversing with, etc., and so vanity got kicked to the curb. I’ve worn glasses steadily ever since. Well, I did wear contacts for about a year, but that was 4 years ago. And I tried a sample pair 2 years ago, but opted not to fill my prescription.

But now I think I’ve come full circle. I feel funny without glasses now. I’m not used to seeing my face without them. In a way, glasses have become a crutch, another way to hide, and so without sporting them, my confidence fizzles a bit. Suddenly, I don’t know that girl in the mirror, and I’m not crazy about the face she has either.

But with or without glasses, it is still the same face, and it’s time to face that fact. (Pun intended!) So now in essence, I’m vainly wanting to wear my glasses because they hide my face. Even I don’t understand me at this point! I’m such a goober sometimes.

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that I've worn my contacts for 4 days straight now -- wearing them longer each day, and so far, I have survived. I'm still not quite sure about the girl in the mirror, but that's another issue to tackle some other day. Hee hee!

No comments: