Friday, May 7, 2010

My New Terms

I love new words or coined phrases, and I especially like making up my own. You all remember, slogging, right?
slogging = (verb) to move at a slow jog pace
Use in a sentence: While slogging this morning on the trail, I met 2 beautiful dogs and their handsome owner.

Unfortunately, I recently discovered from a friend that SLOG is not a new word. GASP! I know, I was a bit devastated, too, when I found out. I suppose I should have done my homework before trying to “claim” a new word of my own, but it was so tempting.

According to Merriam-Webster.com, slog is an 1824 verb:
transitive verb
1 : to hit hard : BEAT
2 : to plod (one's way) perseveringly especially against difficulty


intransitive verb
1 : to plod heavily : TRAMP
2 : to work hard and steadily : PLUG
I guess my newly coined definition wasn’t too far off from the original really. But I think I’m gonna keep using it my way. It seems a proper new use for this nearly 200-year-old term. Hey, I’m just trying to keep the English language fresh, you know!

And I’m still gonna claim “spidar” as a Mel Dictionary original. I researched it today, and yes, it appears that there are other uses of the term out there, but mine is completely my own. Spidar...
1. the ability to sense the presence of an arachnid (aka spider) in the vicinity, often sight unseen
2. an almost innate detection of arachnids within a 10-15 foot radius*; possibly associated with arachnophobia

Use in a sentence (OK, it’s a paragraph really): As I entered the kitchen, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and a chill rushed through my body. It was soon quite clear what had occurred. Out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a black dime-shaped mass conceal itself under the toaster. Yes, my spidar went into action as soon as I entered the room, and I knew the dreadful arachnid was in my presence before I saw his vile form.

Hmmmm...I wonder what new words I will discover today? Hee hee!

*DISCLAIMER: these range limits have not been officially tested, nor am I willing to be a test subject for such a purpose.

No comments: