Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sex and the City 2

I recently went to see Sex and the City 2 with a friend, and I came away realizing how unlike Sex and the City my life is.

Admittedly I can identify with aspects of a couple of their personalities. But Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, Samantha and I just don’t have a lot in common with each other, and I don’t think we could really be friends. Sure, we’re all women interested in men, pursuing a career, defining our role within our family or network, but there isn’t much else we share.

I never watched the show on HBO and have never caught an entire episode on reruns either. I’ve watched snippets over the years and did catch the first film on DVD, which had some charming moments. In fact, over all, I thought the first film was all right. But after viewing the second film, I’m pretty sure I didn’t miss much by not becoming a fan of the show and watching the series.

The writing might be decent and perhaps even clever at times, but the show does not match my definition of what a woman is. This ultra-modern feminist is crass, crude and derogatory to both sexes, and that doesn’t spell entertainment for me. Maybe you could argue that the writers have merely turned the tables on how men objectify women by reversing the scenario! I’ll admit that there might be some truth to that, but regardless, this film did not provide me with viewing pleasure. I wanted less not more. And I seriously wanted to just go home and take a shower afterwards.

I’m a nugget person. I try to find the redeeming qualities in just about anything I watch, read or encounter, but I really struggled with this film. Sure, I found a couple of things I could pull out, but I had to really search for them, buried deep within. Call me a prude, a moralist, an old-fashioned girl or a goody-two-shoes, but there just went 2 hours of my life I can’t get back.

1 comment:

Skipper Lou said...

I seriously agree with this...the movies are ok but like you said...I dont get into the shows. They just arent real