Thursday, June 24, 2010

Europe, Here I Come!

My Grandfather (my Mom’s Dad) died in combat in World War II. He was killed near Berlin, Germany and buried in the Netherlands American Cemetery in Margraten. My Mom and her younger sister were small children when their father left for the war, and neither of them have ever been to visit his grave. So we’ve been talking about making this journey for years.

BIG NEWS!! Last weekend, we made our reservations for a river cruise along the Danube and Rhine Rivers for next year and included a 3-day extension in Belgium so that we can visit the cemetery in nearby Holland. It’s all very exciting! My Mom is over-the-charts excited already, and we've got months to go. But I love her enthusiasm (after all, I definitely get that from her), and I can't wait to tour Europe with her, my Dad and my Aunt Peggy. It will be another great adventure.

We’ll be starting our trip in Brussels, Belgium and then making our way to Amsterdam, where we’ll catch our river cruise. We’ll be making stops in Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic and Hungary as we make our way along the rivers. I can’t wait. I’m thinking that I might need to get another camera before our trip just so that I will have a back-up. It’s important to capture every moment, you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you, Mel! Can't wait to hear more about it as it approaches and comes.

Melanie said...

Yeah. I'm pretty psyched already...can't wait! :) Tempted to start packing now, but I think I'll hold off for a few weeks. HA!