Monday, June 14, 2010

Little Class Goes a Long Way

Growing up, I didn’t really feel there were many advantages to my small, private, Christian school education. In fact, I would say that the reverse was my focus. I fixated on the negatives and the downside of being outside the norm. I wanted to be like everybody else -- dress similarly, know the same people, etc. But that wasn't in my cards.

From kindergarten through 8th grade, my sister and I were bussed 30 miles from home to a medium-sized Christian school along with fellow students from our church and surrounding areas. I think originally there were about 25-30 students per grade, which was a perfect size really. But then when I was in the 5th grade, the church that held my school had a large number of families leave the church, and they pulled their children from the school rapidly. Over night, I lost several great friends and classmates. And every year after that, our numbers dwindled down even further. I think there were 5 of us when I graduated from the 8th grade. It was sad.

As a further twist, the families at my church decided to make a big switch after my 8th grade year, and so for high school, I attended an even smaller school. The transition was hard at first, but I soon adjusted, and four years later, I graduated at the top of my class of 3. Yep, you read that right. There were 3 of us that marched that May evening in 1992, where I gave an inspirational, sentimental, suck-up Valedictorian speech. HA! Hard to believe it was more than 18 years ago now that I walked down that aisle with my 3” inch bangs and my cheap white pump shoes. Those were the days...

This weekend, I mused with friends who could relate that one advantage of graduating from a small Christian school is that it can sometimes be easier to keep track of your former classmates. Hee hee! Yes, I am proud to say that I have kept in touch with both of mine: Doug and Keven have not been forgotten. And I haven't forgotten the other "kids" from school either. I’ve found and been found by a lot of former classmates and alumni from both schools on Facebook. It’s funny how memories flood back when you get a friend request from an old chum. Oh the stories that could be told...

So maybe it was NOT a perfect childhood. Maybe it was a bit quirky and dysfunctional in a way. Maybe it felt a bit isolated and off at times. But during those years, I made some long-lasting attachments in our minute, tight-knit community. Friendships were forged that are following me still, and today finds me grateful -- grateful for every one.

I’m sure there are other advantage to a smaller-sized graduating class or school. Can you think of any? Feel free to share!

No comments: