Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Just Commit Me Already...

Sometimes I get the distinct impression that some married people feel that thirty-something singles just can’t commit, as if all of us are unstable beings in a constant state of flux that just haven’t grown up yet and can’t take responsibility. That just makes me laugh!

I’m committed. I’m very committed.

JOB: I have been with the same company for nearly 6 years. I’m committed to do my job the best way I know how and to explore new opportunities to grow myself and my career within the company.

APARTMENT: I probably shouldn’t mention this one, but I have been in the same apartment for 9+ years. I know, you probably feel I should be building equity by purchasing a house or condo, right? Well, home ownership has not been within my financial means or personal comfort zone in the past, and so, I have chosen to invest in other ways and have enjoyed the benefits of a nearly-fixed rent rate. (And when I say nearly-fixed, I mean that my rent went down a few years ago, and it is just now back up to where it was when I signed my first lease. That is a nice perk!) I’m currently saving to buy a house/condo, and I’m committed to pursuing that dream.

CAR: My car and I have been together for nearly 9 and a half years. Madison (aka “Maddy”) is an amazing, spirited, midnight plum Honda Civic. She and I have shared a journey of almost 125,000 miles, and I hope we have many more roads to travel together.

FRIENDSHIPS: I have maintained many friendships that began when I was a child, and I love keeping connections going. It's important to me to continue making contact with other people. I love building on old friendships as well as exploring new ones, and once you are my friend, it's hard to get rid of me. Hee hee!

No, I don’t think loyalty and faithfulness are areas I struggle with in my personal or professional life. I'm committed, and I’m quite capable of more commitment. I just haven’t found a suitable match of my own to commit to yet, and if he’s out there, if he actually exists on planet earth, I’m committed to finding him... [Please insert a dramatic movie musical theme of your choice here.]

1 comment:

D. L. Webster said...

I agree.