Monday, June 14, 2010

Girls' Night Exit

On Saturday night, I joined my friend Sheryl and 2 of her friends for a girls’ night out on the town. It was a fun evening and meeting Heather and Holly proved delightful! I like finding new kindred spirits along the journey.

We started our evening at Maggiano’s for some family style fare. YUM! I haven’t eaten there much at all in the past, and so all of our shared selections were new to me. I discovered that the stuffed mushrooms were mouth-wateringly tasty, and the chicken and spinach manicotti was extra delectable with all it’s cheesy goodness. Can you tell that the diet was kicked to the curb for the evening?

We next headed to the cinema to see Exit Through the Gift Shop, a quirky documentary on Mr. Brainwash(MBW also known as Thierry Guetta) and other street artists such as Shepard Fairey and the elusive Banksy. Truth be told, this was my first introduction to the world of street art also known as graffiti, and I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the film was more comical than I thought it would be and highly enjoyable. For me, the film raised blurred some lines and brought up questions about reality and truth. The online buzz indicates that I am not alone in my query. Who’s truth were we hearing, etc.?

In defense of the film and whether the documentary was real or not, one film reviewer (Ty Burr of The Boston Globe) said:
“I’m not buying it; for one thing, this story’s too good, too weirdly rich, to be made up. For another, the movie’s gently amused scorn lands on everyone.”
Quite true! I just wonder who really has the last laugh? HA! Real or not, it was entertaining!

We finished up our evening at the Cheesecake Factory for some dessert and coffee. You all know better than to ask if I indulged in coffee or not. Hee hee! But I sure enjoyed the blueberry white chocolate cheesecake along with our conversations. It was a fabulous, flourishing finish to our night out! Thanks, girls!

I’ll leave you with a funny quote from the movie, which I just had to jot down: “It was behind my expectation.” (I think he meant to say it was BEYOND his expectation. HA!)

No comments: