Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Don't Let It Go

I like some kid movies. I do. And I love Meet the Robinsons. It’s quirky, heart-warming, fun and filled with dark sarcasm. OK, so maybe it's not so much a kids’ movie really.

One particular scene makes me laugh just thinking about it. A character (black bowler hat guy) goes back in time and runs into his childhood self, Goob, on what would prove-to-be a critical day in his young life. Poor Goob had just missed a possible game-ending catch in the ninth inning, costing his team the win and provoking his teammates to take out all their anger and frustration on him with their fists.
He tells his future self the whole story and then with a sigh says: “Coach took me aside. He told me to let it go. I don't know, he's probably right.”

But his future self, a tortured soul, proudly proclaims, “NO! Everyone will tell you to let it go and move on but don't! Instead, let it fester and boil inside of you! Take these feelings and lock them away. Let them fuel your actions. Let hate be your ally, and you will be capable of wonderful, horrid things. Heed my words, Goob: don't let it go!!!

Now I hear or read those words, and I chuckle. I laugh a bit at the pathetic man in the black bowler hat. How silly! How absurd! Most of us wouldn’t advise a young boy to hold a grudge and allow bitterness to fester, and we certainly wouldn’t encourage someone to let hate take over and control them. Of course not! We would try to foster the very opposite character traits like forgiveness and love.

But sometimes, I think we live like that. I know I do. Even though I wouldn’t say I am really a grudge-bearer, somehow I still seem quite capable of holding on to a past wrong even if it is just in my head. Maybe I don’t simmer on it daily, but when I see that person or they come up in a conversation, that past misdeed is the FIRST thing that comes back to mind. I might not mention it. I might not bring it up at all. I might be all smiles and how-do-you-do, but that memory blip is still there, just under the radar. I might have forgiven, but I haven’t been able to completely let it go. I’m festering bitterness, and like the black bowler hat guy, I could let it grow until it overtakes me and turns me into a -- well, it turned him into a revengeful freak, and I don’t want that. Yep, I need to let it go.

Aren’t you glad that when GOD sees us he doesn’t just see all of our past wrongs? HE knows about them. HE saw it happen. HE was the ONE we really hurt, after all, and yet, HE puts all of that behind HIM and holds out HIS hand. HE’s let it go. Now why can’t I?

No comments: