Monday, July 27, 2009

Creating New Jane Austen Fans

Everyone knows that I love anything Jane Austen. I’ve read all the books more than once, I own most of the films made from her books, and I recently traveled across the ocean to visit some of the locations in Jane’s books and the film locations of the movies. So you could say I’m a fan.

But the latest Austenesque book out there kinda has me half curious, half scared. I mean I try to read and see everything that has anything to do with Jane Austen, but I’m not sure about this selection. Although I must confess, I am considering picking up a copy just to check it out for laughs. Is that disloyal of me? Would my fellow Jane Austen fans disown me? I wonder...

According to the author Grahame-Smith, the original text of the novel was well-suited for use as a zombie horror story: “You have this fiercely independent heroine, you have this dashing heroic gentleman, you have a militia camped out for seemingly no reason whatsoever nearby, and people are always walking here and there and taking carriage rides here and there. It was just ripe for gore and senseless violence. From my perspective anyway.”

That totally makes me laugh. I'm just not sure if I approve of this new ploy to create more Jane Austen fans. HA! On Amazon.com, I also see that there is a novel called "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Creatures" as well. YIKES! What is next? Captain Wentworth in Persuasion as a vampire? WAIT! I might actually use that idea. I like it. Hee hee!

Hmmmm...I am quite sure that Jane just rolled over in her grave.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I see this book cover whenever I go to Borders, and it creeps me out every time. Yikes!!