Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Smile

I heard this Chris Rice song again recently. OK, the truth is that I listen to this song A LOT, but don’t tell Chris, he’ll get a big head. Once again, I was struck with these lyrics. I’m single, and like a lot of singles out there, I struggle with that status. Not all the time, mind you, but more often than I’d like. It is part of being human and having a sinful nature. GOD has blessed me in so many ways, and yet I still want that something more. I long for it, and I’m constantly sharing these thoughts with GOD.

The first time I heard this song, I started crying. Yes, Chris Rice has made me cry on more than one occasion, but it’s a good thing--honest. I heard the song as a love song, and I thought it was so sweet. Then suddenly, I got it. This wasn’t just another love song. This was a love song to GOD.

Here I am longing for a love of my own. I’m aching for that one thing that seems always just out of reach. I’m stuck, as it were. I’m frustrated. I’m struggling with the discontentment. Well, along comes this Chris Rice song about aching to be with THE ONE, the same ONE who should be the REAL love of my life, and these lyrics just bowled me over.

I'm a dreamer. My head is always off in the clouds somewhere. But instead of thinking and dreaming of THE ONE, I'm pining for another lover. I’m whining down here because I went to another party alone, or I just got invited to another bridal or baby shower. How selfish, am I? The GOD of the universe loves me, has given me the very best (HIS SON), provides for my every need, and desires my soul. HE wants me. HE wants me. I already have HIS love. I didn’t earn it. I can’t earn it, but there it is...the only love that will ever truly endure, and HE has given it to me as a gift.

So where is my desire to be with HIM?
Why don’t I ache to be in HIS presence?
Why don’t I ponder Heaven more?
Where is my passion for HIM?

Am I tossing aside the LOVER of my soul in hopes of something else? What am I thinking? That other love will never compare to HIS. It can’t compete.

OH LORD, teach me to make this song my daily prayer to YOU: “I just want to be with YOU. I just want this waiting to be over...” Yes, it would be nice to have a someone special here to smile for and with, but should that day not come, LORD, teach me how to wait for YOUR smile.

Smile
by Chris Rice

How far are you, how close am I
I know your words are true and I don't feel them inside
Still I believe you'll never leave
So where are you now

You're all I have, You're all I know
Your breath is breathing in my soul
Still I am gasping, aching, asking
Where are you now

Cause I just wanna be with You
I just want this waiting to be over
I just want to be with You
And it helps to know the Day is getting closer

Every minute takes an hour
Every inch feels like a mile
Til I won't have to imagine
And I finally get to see You smile

My journey's here, but my heart is There
So I dream and wait, and keep the faith, while You prepare
Our destiny, til You come back for me
Oh, please make it soon!

Cause I just wanna be with You
I just want this waiting to be over
I just want to be with You
And it helps to know the Day is getting closer

Every minute takes an hour
Every inch feels like a mile
Til I won't have to imagine
And I finally get to see You smile

No comments: