Monday, July 13, 2009

Recent Personal Headlines

Fireworks Over Lake Huron Blew My Mind...I was home in Michigan over the 4th of July and had a fabulous visit with my family, even though we were missing some of the gang. (sniffle, sniffle) On Friday, we headed to Lexington to catch the local fireworks at the beach, but the crowds were incredible, and parking was scarce. So we opted to drive North up the Lake Huron coast a few miles to another familiar spot in the hopes that we could still see the fireworks from that location, too. We set up our chairs and blankets and waited for some sky action, and the wait was well worth it. The locals near the park put on their own marvelous fireworks display about 9:40 PM, and we ooohed and ahhhed over each burst for 30 minutes or more. We were so close. It was as if we were having our own private fireworks show. There were only 2 other families at that beach, and so it was all pretty special. Just as the neighbors finished their fireworks, we could see up the beach that the Lexington Harbor fireworks were underway, and so we caught 2 shows back-to-back. It was incredible to see the fireworks over the water, which reflected the brilliant hues wondefully. My brother-in-law took over 900 photos with my new camera just to see what it could do, and some of the shots are amazing. What a great night!

Once a Klutz, Always a Klutz...While in Michigan, I tripped on a door jam between my parents’ kitchen and dining rooms, and really banged up my middle toe on my left foot. I thought it hurt worse than your typical stubbed toe, but when I checked on it a couple of hours later because it was still hurting, I was surprised to find it swollen and quite purple all the way around my toe. After a FREE family medical consultation with my Mom, sister and sister-in-law, the original diagnosis was that I had broken my toe. So I wrapped and taped my middle toe to another toe and went about my business as usual. After 2 days, the swelling decreased immensely, and today is day 10 after my injury, and the bruising is nearly gone, the pain is minimal, and I feel pretty good about it. So did I break my toe? Not sure, but if I did, it certainly didn’t keep me down for longer than 10 minutes, which was a major praise.

It Sucks To Be Me...Quite Literally. I finally broke down and bought a new vacuum cleaner. I looked at the Dyson models at the store, but somehow I couldn’t justify forking over $400 for a new vacuum for my one-bedroom apartment. HA! So I settled on a bagless Bissell with the hypoallergenic filters, and it has done a marvelous job so far at less than a ¼ of the price of a Dyson. I was rather overwhelmed by the crud it pulled up out of my carpet, and I keep a pretty tidy house. So naturally I had to remove, empty and clean the dirty filters after that first night of use, which led to a major migraine headache and fun with my allergies for a couple of days – probably from inhaling the said dust particles. Oh well, at least the carpet was clean. HA!

No comments: