Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I’m Going to Michigan in the Morning. Ding Dong, the Bells Are Gonna Chime...

Not sure why My Fair Lady tunes (or at least my own rendition of songs like I’m Getting Married in the Morning) are dancing around in my head today, but there you have it. I’m in a show tunes mood, I guess. HA!

I’m off to my beloved home state tomorrow for a long weekend with family. Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve totally waffled back and forth as to whether or not I should make this trip. Should I take the time off from work so soon after being out for 2 weeks to go to England? Should I have the AC in my car looked at since it just stops working whenever it feels like it? Should I stay home and take care of stuff around my place -- like cleaning? Somehow though, I kept coming back to a conversation I had with a friend of mine over a year ago. She and I were discussing our vacation hours, and I was debating whether or not to take some time off. My friend piped up with a direct response that has played over and over in my head since.

"Mel, no one ever gets to the end of their life and says, ‘I wish I would have spent more time at the office.’ No. People most often regret not spending enough time with family and friends while they are here. Don’t forget that."

My friend had just been diagnosed with cancer, and her words made quite a deep impression on me and even now, they still play over in my head. So, I’ve decided to take the time off...off to bond with my nieces and nephews, off to play games with my Mom, off to laugh with my Dad, off to chat with my Grandma, off to share England photos and stories, off to stroll along the beach with my sister, off to catch up with my brothers and sister-in-laws, off to be harassed by my brother-in-law, off to enjoy the fireworks over the lake and maybe enjoy a real grilled hamburger again...

Yep, this is Melanie, and I’m signing off now for Michigan. WOOHOO!!

Have a blessed and safe Fourth of July, All!

No comments: