Sunday, December 14, 2008

But I Haven't Gotten There Yet...

Last night or rather in the wee early hours of this morning, I was wide awake and couldn't sleep, and so I hopped online, blogged a bit, read some other blogs, and did some random reading (i.e. I surfed A LOT). I came across this article, and it saddened me.

They just can't close down the Pyramids or the Taj Mahal. I haven't gotten there yet, and they are both on my list of places to see. And while I'm finally going international for the first time in 2009, I certainly cannot afford to do a world tour all at once (i.e. I'm a girl on a budget). Actually, it will probably take a good while for me to visit all of the places I aspire to, and since my list is all in my head really, maybe I should write it all down before my memory evaporates or gets put on the endangered list as well.

So in no certain order, here we go...
Egyptian Pyramids and the Valley of the Kings: I would love to see it without encountering ANY bugs, spiders or scorpions. AHEM! Yes, I'm basically wanting a bug-free experience in the land of the Nile. It could happen, right?

Taj Mahal: I really hope the builder of such a massive monument told his wife how much he loved her while she was alive and not tucked away in such an elaborate tomb, but nevertheless, I'd still like the tour.

My England (soon to be checked off my list WOOHOO!!): I'm really coming, dear friends [that's Jane Austen, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, William Shakespeare, Robert Browning, Charlotte Bronte--just to name a few]. Yes, I'm finally going to travel to the land of incredibly meaningful romantic poety and brilliant literature.

The Netherlands: My Mom's Dad is buried there in Margraten Cemetery. He was killed in action in World War II. I hope to travel there with my parents in the next 5 years or so.

Italy: I want to see Rome, Tuscany and Florence. Venice would be nice, too.

Austria: I want to tour the Von Trapp family home (or at least where they filmed The Sound of Music), and I desperately want to find a grassy hill with the Alps in the distance and gracefully twirl singing "The hills are alive with the sound of music with songs they have sung for a thousand years, ahhhhhhh..." You can picture it, right?

Germany, Spain, France, Poland, etc: OK, maybe I should look into a highlight tour? I'm starting to get carried away with Europe.

Israel: I want to visit the Dead See while there is still water in it. I want to tour old Jerusalem, take a boat ride out on the Sea of Galilee, and I'd like to visit Masada.

Disney World: OK, this might seem an odd choice given the rest of the locales on this list, but my family went to Disney World when I was 8, and I had the chicken pox the whole time. I hid my face behind a Mickey Mouse balloon for every photo, and I was miserable most of the day. I'd like a re-do, and I'd really like to go to Epcot Centre and see everything.

The US National Parks: I've been to a few, but I haven't been to Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon yet. I know, it's shocking... But I'd like to visit or re-visit all of the parks with fresh eyes (and a better camera) and admire the genius handiwork of our amazing CREATOR.

Savannah, GA: I really want to visit this charming Southern city, and actually I would like to visit each of the US States that I haven't been too yet...
And while we're at it, here is a list of places where I'd like to return for another visit...
New England: I want to go back as an adult and maybe (just maybe, mind you) try fish again. [GULP!] I'd love to drive along the coast or tour during the height of the fall colors.

Upper Peninsula of Michigan: I love the remoteness and unspoiled beauty of the natural landscape. I love walking through the parks, cruising by the Pictured Rocks, strolling along the sand and stony beaches, discovering the untamed beauty of the waterfalls...yeah, lots of good stuff up there. I heart my Michigan.

Prince Edward Island: It is so green and so beautiful...and then there is Gilbert. [sigh!]

The Smoky Mountains and Cades Cove: I love that area almost as much as my aunt who lives in Maryville. To me the Smokies never are the same twice, and I love that about them. Each visit is like the first time!

Casa Loma in Toronto, Ontario: This is probably (i.e. not officially documented in my biography) where I first fell in love with all things architecture at the ripe old age of 10. And since it's been almost 25 years since my last visit, I think I'm due for a reacquaintance encounter.

Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC: OK, so I've already been there 4 times since 1996, and I may seem a bit obsessed with this grand estate. But hey, I get my fill of beauty, majestic peaks, art and fine furnishings along with amazing architecture and incredible views all in the same day. AND it's romantic [sigh!]...well, it is. Even if I've never been there under such a love-encased-fog, I can imagine that it is very romantic with the right person, can't I? See, it's got everything this girl needs. Well, almost...

Gettysburg and other Civil War areas: My family went on vacation to Gettysburg when I was in junior high, and I've longed to go back and see it again. It's my favorite war. WAIT! Are we supposed to have a favorite war? That seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

Washington, DC: I've been there a couple times, but it never gets old or less exciting. I love the monuments, the Capitol, the White House, Arlington National Cemetery, the cherry blossoms, the Smithsonian [BIG SIGH!], the bridges, the history, etc. It just amazes me.

Charleston, SC: I love visiting the old plantations along the Ashley River and touring the Southern homes along the Battery. It's like strolling back in time through history.
I feel like I'm forgetting several locations, but you get the idea. I am a bit ambitious in my list of future excursions, and I need to get these travels underway, preferably while these locales still exist. OK then, it's time to pack my bags...

2 comments:

Skipper Lou said...

Prince Edward Island WOULD be gorgeous....it would be even better if you could get a tour from Gilbert. He is soooo cute!

Melanie said...

It was beautiful. I was 16 and rather impressionable, and that island made a BIG impression on me!I loved it.