Friday, December 12, 2008

Ooh! That's Pretty!

I'm a girl. There I confessed it. I am. Can't deny it. Can't fight it off. It's just a fact. And as a girl, I like pretty things.

I like trinkets: you know little odds and ends to fill shelves, not to clutter it up. No. No. No. Things still have to be neat and tidy in Mel's world, and there can't be too much of a good thing--with the exception of books, which I feel you can NEVER have enough of.

I like jewelry even though I don't wear much of it. [sigh!] Unfortunately my skin reacts to most metals, and I only seem to get away with wearing pure platinum. I really can't afford platinum even though it works with my skin. Ironic, isn't it? I'm a would-be platinum girl living on a plastic budget (and I don't mean credit cards...we're not gonna do THAT again). Hmmmm...maybe I should look into plastic jewelry? I used to have a silly plastic charm necklace growing up that I'm sure would be super trendy these days. I wonder what happened to it?

I like art. Love it actually. I don't own a single piece of art unless you count the priceless crayon and marker drawings from my nieces and nephews. Those are treasures!

Basically, I love beauty--in collections, jewelry, art, nature, photography, people, etc. There is so much beauty out there. You just have to look. Open your eyes!

This week at work, a bunch of the admin staff have participated in a Secret Santa gift exchange. Each morning, I've come into the office to find a nicely wrapped present left for me by an elf, and it's been nice having a surprise to look forward to each day. It's fun to be spoiled even if it is just for a week. I've received 3 beautiful silver-accented ornaments for my Christmas tree (trinkets), a holiday snow globe (another trinket), and today, I got the Hungry Girl Cookbook (a book -- BIG Sigh!) that I have been dying to try. WOOHOO!

Today at our reveal party, I discovered who drew my name, and I was again impressed at how well my co-workers know me. They what I like. Those holiday ornaments are enchanting, and I can't wait to take them home and find the perfect spots on my tree to display them. (And yes, there is a perfect spot...) I'm excited about my snow globe, too. I don't believe a person can have too many of those either. HA! And I'm delighted to have my own copy of the Hungry Girl Cookbook with recipes like "Lord of the Onion Rings" and "Dan Good Chili." Hee hee! I love word plays. Yeah, this girl is happy today...

Enjoy your weekend everybody. Less than 2 weeks left to shop for Christmas.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I'm SOOO glad you got the HG cookbook! I wanted to get it for you (but alas, was forbidden). I own it, but don't ask me how many recipes I've tried b/c I won't tell you. (zero) I'm jealous of the office gift exchanges. I asked Marcia if we were going to do one, and she just laughed. :) Not as much fun between an office of TWO.