Sunday, December 14, 2008

Messiah: Handel's Genius

A few short hours ago, Becky and I went to a performance of Handel's Messiah featuring the Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra. It was an excellent performance, and the location was superb. It was held downtown at the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul. The acoustics were wonderful! I was enraptured.

My favorite part is Every Valley, which is close to the beginning. I think my Uncle Neal used to sing that aria in church, which is probably why it is so familiar to me. In fact, I can hear his voice in my head when I think of the lyrics to that song.

I am transfixed by the Hallelujah Chorus (of course), and I love that the audience still stands when it is performed just as tradition has it that King George II did when he first attended a performance. It is said that the king stood (and thus all his subject stood, too) in reverence of the song's tribute to THE KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS. I like that tradition.

I also enjoy I Know That My Redeemer Liveth, and For Unto Us a Child Is Born. But really, it is all so good. Once again, I couldn't help but wonder if the choir and the orchestra realized of WHOM they were singing. And did the audience see it as a masterful work exhibiting Handel's genius? Or did they recognize their CREATOR being hailed as THE LAMB? Lots to think about...

It was a splendid evening, and I'm so glad I got to go. Yes, I must have really enjoyed the performance since I am still wide awake, and it's been 2 and a half hours since the performance. HA! I'm wired. (Or maybe it was the Diet Mountain Dew that I had at 4 PM earlier in the day...not my best move!)

Since moving to Indy in 2001, I really have been able to get a lot of culture in my life. It's amazing how many awesome opportunities for concerts, art, ballet, musicals, plays and other performances have come along and enriched my life these past 7 years. I am blessed. Thank you, LORD.

No comments: