Monday, December 1, 2008

The Gift of Time

I love buying gifts for my 9 nieces and nephews, and then I get far too eager to see their little faces light up with surprise and joy at their stash. Actually, I’m usually the one begging for the kids’ right to open up a couple of gifts early on Christmas Eve. Come on.

Christmas is going to be different this year. My siblings and I have all agreed that we aren’t exchanging gifts this year, and we mean it this time. Normally we draw names or say that we’ll just buy for the kids, but somehow we all end up buying for everyone anyway. But, it’s a bit more serious than that right now, and Auntie M isn’t the only one feeling the economic crunch. Times are tight and budgets are stretched.

So, we’ll get together for a celebration without presents.
1. I hope we'll read the Christmas story aloud together.
2. I'm sure there will be plenty of munchies to enjoy all day.
3. Perhaps we’ll get a rousing 4-hour game of Monopoly going.
4. Maybe we’ll investigate the crime and follow each Clue to determine who killed Mr Body and was it the candlestick or the rope that Miss Scarlett used to kill him in the ballroom.
5. There also might be a stirring game of Uno with a twist.

Whatever we end up doing, it will be as always FUN and enjoyable, and we'll be together. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This year IS hard for everyone! I cant believe how many families are doing this exact same thing this year. Family is all that really matters anyhow : ) as long as you are around them for the holidays it will still be wonderful!