Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Let Us Give Thanks

This is my favorite holiday. I love it! This year, I am celebrating in a different fashion than before. No, I will not be staying home and eating Banquet chicken this year. [I chose to stay home on my own over the holidays once, and my family just won't let me forget it.]

I decided not to go home to Michigan for Thanksgiving this year, and so I'll miss out on my Mom's fabulous turkey feast. She always does an incredible spread with some help from the rest of us. No one can beat Mom's homemade stuffing [sigh!] and her cranberry salad is just the best. It's a family secret recipe (like Colonel Sanders fried chicken). OK, not quite. We share the recipe with others, but it is a salad that my Grandma (my Dad's Mom) put together years ago, and it is a delicious family favorite and unlike any other! I'm sad to miss out on the Michigan celebrations and enjoy a nice long walk with my Mom after our massive lunch, too.

But, I do have some other exciting plans. This year, I am joining my sister and her family at her in-laws in Kokomo for Thanksgiving lunch. There will be different tasty traditions to savor and perhaps new friends to meet. It should be a fun day, and I'm looking forward to this new experience. I am so thankful. GOD has given me so much...
...a wonderful family and extended family. My sister's in-laws are always warmly inviting me over for holiday get-togethers. My sister is forever looking out for me and insists on including me for every holiday. Thanks, Sis!

...incredible friendships. I spent last evening with my friends Angie and Andy and their beautiful daughters, Sarah Grace and Caroline, for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner. I was introduced to the girl's "dance for Jesus" as we all twirled away on the carpet. Yes, HIS love endures forever. I loved that! Thanks for letting me join in.

...a return to my church. I'm not sure how GOD is going to use me there, but HE doesn't call us to something without providing a way. HE will direct. Thanks for this fresh start, LORD!

...the strength and will power to change my eating habits and get healthier. I'm down 64 pounds from April 1st, and I'm just amazed. I can be a very disciplined person, but that was definitely not all done in my own strength. HE has been with me every step of the way. Thanks for letting me lean on you, LORD!

...bountiful provisions of this past year. I had a health scare, and GOD graciously brought me through that ordeal. HE also provided for my every need and even gave me lots of extras. I met new friends, reconnected with old pals and got to travel some, too. It's been a great year, and the list of praises due HIM is endless.
Thank you, LORD, for your overwhelming goodness. Thank you for each and every moment you give us. We love you, LORD!

No comments: