Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm So Ready...

Every year about the middle of October IT happens. I start getting antsy to put up my Christmas tree. By Halloween, I’m ready to succumb to the temptation and drag out the boxes and tubs of decorations and get my Christmas on. Now for the last couple of years, I’ve tried to resist the urge as long as possible, but by mid-November, I can’t handle it. I’m too psyched to deck the halls again. So, I give in. And this year is no different. I’m so ready. Any day now...

I love going through my ornaments--unwinding each tissue-wrapped selection and delicately placing it on my tree. Each box holds another treasure, another little something to rediscover again. Sadly, most of my decorations are brand new due to the infamous mold episode a couple of years back. [sniffle, sniffle!] Gone are the sentimental ornaments from my childhood, but that hasn’t really changed my passion for holiday decorations.

I’ll vigorously attempt to reshape my holiday wreath for the door. I’ll light scented candles and bask in the glow. I’ll giggle with glee as I shake up my snow globe and wind up the music box. I’ll glide and spin across the floor in rhythm to my Nat King Cole Christmas CD or sigh to the musical renditions of Michael Buble. [BIG SIGH!] Yeah, life is good!

Now you may think this is disloyal of me. After all, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but somehow in a way, decorating for Christmas gets me ready for Thanksgiving. Yes, Thanksgiving often gets lost in our scramble for Christmas, but it is still on the calendars. I love how America still sets aside a day -- not just for football as my brothers would have us believe, not just time for family and delicious food and not for shopping or catching sleep before the big shopping day to come -- but a day set aside to be thankful, to express our gratitude to GOD for the bountiful blessings of life. Yes, it's time to get our praise on...**


**Disclaimer: Somehow it just sounds wrong when I say "get your praise on." Worship leaders can say it, cool musicians can sing it, but this "I-grew-up-fundamental-Baptist-girl" just can't get it out right. HA! Now, I'm leaving it in there. I'm trying to keep it real and leave it unedited. I just think it sounds funny coming from me, don't you?

1 comment:

Skipper Lou said...

I am exactly the same way! My parents came and we had an early thanksgiving and I want to put my tree up so badly now! Jamie said he wants to wait until the real thanksgiving : ( I love holidays!