Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Please Don't Call Me Slim

I’ve always had plenty of nicknames.
Mel or Mels – to my Dad for as long as I can remember
Melnee – to my childhood friend Matt
Melbee, Melbeesue or Princess Melanie – to my cousin Susan
Melanator or Melvinator – to my friends in jr. high and high school
Mel-belle – to my former boss, Donald
Then there have been the nicknames I have sometimes called myself, but I won’t go into that list now. A bit too personal. AHEM!

Now at work lately, I seem to be getting a couple of new nicknames that I am really trying to overlook and ignore. I’m being called “Slim” or “Skinny.” Now, I know that my co-workers are trying to encourage me. At least, I don’t think they are insulting me. The weight is coming off, and the last 7 months have really brought about some great transforming results, but come on, I am not slim or skinny by any means, and these people know it. I’m getting less “fluffy” every week, as I call it, but I have a long ways to go before I can be termed “Slim.”

1. I still think about food a lot more than I should. From one moment to the next, I’m planning out my next meal or snack. I’m not cheating on my diet, but I’m doing the math in my head and calculating the points ahead. OK, if I have this piece of fruit for a snack now instead of these pretzels, than I can have some ice cream tonight. Every morsel is rationalized and thought out. I’d like to think less about food.

2. I don’t enjoy working out, but I know it is time well spent. A daily walk, a bike ride or getting my kicks in with some Tae-Bo is good for me, and when I get done with my workout, I feel great. I’m ready to take on the world. Well, I will be once my heart stops beating like it is about to leap out of my chest, and once I’m no longer breathing as an asthmatic. All in all, getting daily exercise is still quite a chore for me. It’s not my favorite part of the day by any means, and so I don’t think you’ll catch my Mel-icious Workout DVD in stores any time soon. However, I would like to get to the point where exercise is something I just do every day like taking a shower, etc. I want exercise to become a ritual or habit in my life, just part of my daily routine.

I think there is still a lot of work to be done! Yes, I have more will power than before, and I’ve been quite disciplined on this plan. However, let’s face the facts. Diet Girl is a box of Krispy Kremes from a relapse or a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard from a meltdown. [HA! No pun intended.] This is hard work, and I’m going to have to keep it up every day, probably for the rest of my life. Does that mean that I am going to forever avoid Dairy Queen or The Cheesecake Factory? I hope not. Eventually, I’d like to be able to splurge and have a meal without worrying about the calories, fat and fiber counts--even if it is just one meal a week. BUT I have to earn that right, and I’m not there yet.

Miles to go before I sleep,
Miles to go before I sleep...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You go, girl! Both you and Barbara are doing so well. I've sort of come to a stand still, but I just keep working out and trying to eat right (ahem!) because eventually, I'll start losing again. I'm worried about the holidays though. Can you send some of that will power over to me? I'm sort of running low. :-) I can do this! I can do this!