Thursday, November 13, 2008

Can't We Just Get Along

Do you ever catch yourself being sucked into the ongoing drama unfolding around you? You really just want to stay “out of it,” but somehow you catch yourself getting brought along for the ride?

I don’t mind listening. I strive to be a decent listener, but sometimes I wonder where that line is. When is it OK to just say I can’t listen anymore because this just isn’t productive?

I wish we could all check our baggage at the door and really be unbiased and strive to make the BEST decisions for all, but no one is really able to be completely objective. We all have our own agendas. We’re human. We’re selfish. We hold grudges. And yet, I can’t help but think that there must be a way for us to work together and make things better. I want to help and be the peacemaker in these situations with my friends and co-workers, but some days, I would love to just lock some people in a room together, tell them to deal with it and make them stay in there until they have the situation resolved. Tough love, I guess.

Come on. Talk to one another, reason with one another, step into another’s shoes for a moment. Life is too short to be spent squabbling about insignificant issues or bringing up past wrongs. Let it go. Please can't we just try to get along?

LORD, give us the strength and wisdom to get along with our fellow sojourners on this planet. Help us to let go of the past and look ahead to the future with fresh eyes guided by your omniscient hand. Help us to love others as you love us!

Psalm 34:14 Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.

Psalm 37:37 Consider the blameless, observe the upright; there is a future for the man of peace.

No comments: