Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Freedom to Vote

America isn't perfect, and our system for voting is far from it, but it is still a privilege and a blessing to live in a country where we can cast our ballot and let our voice be heard.

I stood in line for about an hour and 25 minutes this morning waiting to vote. See, I thought I’d be smart and go early. I got to the polls at 6:25 AM, and the line was already snaked around inside the building and then out the door. Yeah! So I guess, I should have been there by 5:30 AM to get to work on time at 7:30 AM. HA!

There were 2 precincts voting at the same location today, and 19 out of 20 voters were there to vote in the same precinct (mine). So, you can imagine the chatter going on about that. Talk about some serious precinct realignment that needs to happen! I later found out that I live in one of the largest precincts in the state. Hmmmm...I never knew that.

Despite the long wait, it certainly never got boring. One couple that was behind me was particularly entertaining. He was quoting Monty Python lines as we slowly inched along in line, and she was trying to hush him. Together the 3 of us tried to come up with better ways of getting people through the lines. They had broken our precinct down into 2 separate lines: one for last names beginning with A-M and the other for N-Z. Not a perfect plan at all! The A-M sign-in sheet stacks were double, maybe triple the size of the N-Z stack. We kept discussing how they needed to break up the A-M into smaller sections, and then we shared our insights with a poll judge who was there. Wouldn’t you know it that he took our advice and got it all set up to do just what we had suggested with the folks just behind us! We laughed about how we were all for the common good, and that it sure was democratic of us even though we weren’t to benefit from the change. HA!

I cast my vote and rushed to the office 30+ minutes late, but it was worth it. My vote will be counted, and I got to have my say. Whether or not I will like all of today’s results and whether or not a scandal over the results or the ballots will ensue, I still got to exercise a freedom I am privileged to share with my fellow American citizens. A freedom I hope to NEVER take for granted.

Thank you, LORD! I'm glad to know that no matter what the outcome of today's election, YOU are really the ONE in charge of my future!

No comments: