Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All In How You Play the Game

I went to my oldest nephew Jordan’s varsity soccer game last night, and while the play on the field was exciting, I found the spectators just as amusing.

First of all, my brother Steve was really into the game. He was out of his lawn chair for most of the game, pacing the sidelines, coaching the ref, making comments about the good calls and complaining about the bad. He went on for about 5 minutes about how there should have been a red card given after one of the other team’s players got in the face of one of our players, etc. Now I realize that it was probably NOT my best move as a younger sister to try to bring levity to the situation by telling my brother that if he didn’t calm down, I was going to give him a red card and call Mom. At which point, he laughed and handed me his cell phone, but at least he did laugh.

Farther down the field, there was a mother on the sidelines, and she knew every player by name, which was kinda nice, but she just wouldn’t hush up the whole game. She has one of those voices that carries, and she kept giving the players advice from the stands. “Corey, watch out for the guy on your back.” “To your left, Austin!” “Mark, number 11 is right behind you.” And then she kept saying, “Boys, do the right thing, right.” Now, I think that is a healthy admonishment, but what did it have to do with the game at hand, I wondered. I guess in weeks past, this Mom has brought a cow bell to the games and has jingled it the whole time, but I guess the players (including her son, I imagine) had asked her not to bring it anymore. It was too distracting. I know I was glad she had left it home.

There were other parents that were getting riled up about some of the calls or about some of the other players’ aggression, too. I just sat there rather entertained by the whole scenario. Is this going to be me someday? It’s just a game to me. Let the kids have fun with it.

OK, can someone PLEASE explain what the heck it means to be off sides? I just don’t get it. My brother tried to explain it to me twice last night, and I just couldn’t see it. I like soccer. I just can’t follow that one rule. It doesn't make sense to me.

6 comments:

Skipper Lou said...

haha I bet Steve was hilarious...can't wait to do stuff like that : ) I have no idea anything about soccer so I couldnt help ya there haha

Anonymous said...

If you're a fullback, you're only allowed to go so far on the other side, or you're off sides...if I remember correctly from gym class w/ Mr. Sutphin like an eternity ago. They don't get this technical in 5-6 yr old soccer that I watch every week, thank goodness! They are lucky if they are kicking it the right way down the field! :) Glad you got to see one of Jordan's games.

Melanie said...

WAIT! They have fullbacks in soccer, too? WOW! I never knew. I apparently did NOT pay attention in gym class. HA!

Unknown said...

In outdoor soccer, or outdoor football as it is known in most of the world, an offside foul is called when an offensive player, or attacking player, is passed the ball and there are not at least two opponents between him or her and the goal line. Usually, these are the goalkeeper and one other defender, but not necessarily. The penalty for an offside foul is that the other team is given possession of the ball.

The rule was created to prevent offensive players from "cherry picking" near the opponents' goal. Without the rule, offensive players could hover near their opponents' goal even when the play is on the other side of the field, with the hope of a long pass and an easy goal. The offside rule still allows for the chance to score.

It's also important to note that offside applies at the moment the ball is passed, not at the moment the ball is received. Therefore, if the offensive player that will receive the pass is "onside" at the time the ball is passed, but then runs behind the unsuspecting defender before receiving the pass, the receiving offensive player is not offsides.

From: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-offside-in-soccer.htm

Melanie said...

Thanks, John! Good to know.

aka Bailey said...

I was going to chime in with an explanation of "offsides" but I see that john j. did a pretty good job of it already.