Friday, September 19, 2008

I Love Autumn!

Every year about this time, the excitement starts to build. Maybe it's the sight of candy corn at Meijer that gets me going, but whatever it is, I know that fall is on the way, and I get psyched. Yes, I think autumn is my favorite time of year.

THE WEATHER: I know everyone thinks it gets cold or chilly too fast, but come on, it's lovely and refreshing. It's just jeans and sweater weather. [Say sweater weather 5 times...it's quite a tongue twister. HA!] I guess I'm still a Michigan girl. I still seem to have the cold water of the Great Lakes flowing through my veins, and so I love the cooler temps of the fall, the crisp autumn air, the swirling wind, etc. It's wonderful!

THE OUTDOORS: I love to rake leaves into piles and crash into them. Can't get enough of that awesome crunch sound! And who doesn't love a hayride (besides Kristen--sorry to bring it up, but I know you have your reasons)! I think I went on at least one hayride every year in Michigan, and then at camp, I was on a hayride at least twice a week. I loved that. We'd sing loudly and just have a great time! Of course, there is the downside of having to pull pieces of hay or straw out of my hair for the rest of the day thanks to the boys (you know who you are), but those were still really good times!

I love the smell of fall, too. There is just something in the air (beside pollution) that tickles my nose. That fresh scent lingers in the great outdoors. I love bonfires and roasting hotdogs or marshmallows, too. It's delightful.

THE FOOD: Candy corn is pretty awesome! I should look up the WW points for it. Hmmmmm...1 oz. is 2 points. I wonder how many pieces that is? HA! I love pumpkin stuff -- pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin muffins. YUM! I love going to an apple orchard and picking my own apples. I miss Michigan's apple orchards. Apple-picking make me think of caramel apples and apple cider and... OOPS! Diet Girl is digressing here. Somehow this conversation is going to lead back to donuts, I just know it, and I just can't have that!! Hee hee!

THE SEASON: With fall just around the corner, that means that Thanksgiving is coming up fast. Only 10 weeks from yesterday. WOOHOO!! Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday despite the over footballization of the day. Uh-oh! I think I just made a new word. Anyway, I love Thanksgiving: counting my blessings and the gifts GOD has placed in my life, spending time with family, eating tasty food, taking an adventurous walk with my nieces and nephews, playing board games if it's cold or going to the park if it's not, making memories and capturing them on film, etc. Yeah, it's a favorite day of mine. I really enjoy it.

Well, autumn is on it's way this year, and I'm ready.

1 comment:

Skipper Lou said...

I love autumn too...but honestly it is making me miss peru : ( lol