Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tuesday Morning Torture

I like many Americans dread going to the dentist. In fact, I'm learning just how many of my fellow citizens live in fear of the dental chair. WOW! There is just something about those wickedly sharp torturous tools on the counter, the sound of that drill in my ear, the white knuckle grip I have on the arm rests as they start into my mouth, etc. It's just not really something I look forward to, but I go twice a year just like they recommend.

I've been going to the same dental office for several years now, and I always had the same dental hygienist, Mary, cleaning my teeth every time, and I was quite happy with that pattern. Well, about 3 years ago, I got switched from Mary to the new hygienist,Carrie, who was fresh out of school and VERY thorough. However, while I knew that I was probably getting the cleanest teeth ever, Carrie's touch was less than gentle, and I would be sore for days afterwards. Not just a sore mouth, but tender gums, bruised cheeks, swollen lips, etc. I'd leave the office feeling like I was just in a fight (not that I'd know what that feels like, but I could imagine). Anyway, Carrie was not a pleasant change for me. I missed Mary, but I didn't know what to do about it.

Was the switch permanent?
Was this punishment from my dentist for not flossing more?


I saw Carrie twice that year, and then miraculously, I got moved back to Mary's roster. [sigh!] So for the last year and a half, I have been quite happy with my dental experience. I still didn't look forward to my dental cleanings, by any means, but I felt better about going when I knew I was going to see Mary.

Well, today I headed to the dentist, checked in and sat down comfortably. A moment later the receptionist stuck her head out the window and said, "Melanie, I will let Carrie know that you are here." I just smiled and nodded, and then I wondered if she could visibly see the change in my demeanor. Oh no, I thought. I'm going to be so sore all week, and I wanted some ice cream tonight, but now eating ice cream will be painful! UGH! I just sat there, flipping through a magazine and pondering if I should talk to the receptionist on the way out about getting put back on Mary's list. Hmmmmm...

Soon I got taken back into Carrie's domain, had my chair leaned back and got my bib strapped on. And as you can imagine, I was trying to be as pleasant as possible, but inside I was rather annoyed. I was trying to mentally prepare for the pain. Carrie came in all perky and happy, we traded the usual polite niceties, and then she started in with the tools. And I waited for the pain. Then I waited some more. But I didn't feel anything. Carrie was still being very thorough, but there was something different. She was using a much more gentle touch. Before I knew it, the appointment was all over, and I was saying my goodbyes and getting my next appointment set up.

I got to my car and just started laughing with relief. The third time's the charm, I guess. Carrie did an awesome job. Thank you, LORD! That was a much more pleasant experience.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

One time, I had a different hygienist, and the experience was horrible. My mouth hurt for days. Luckily, it has only happened once in the 7 years I've been at my current dentist's office. I like the routine of my regular hygienist and she has people skills too, which can be rare these days.

With all this talk about teeth cleaing, I think I had better got floss some more. :-) My next appointment is only 3 months away. :-)