Thursday, September 18, 2008

Come On -- Learn to Take a Compliment, Mel!

It happened yesterday at work. A random co-worker that I don't know very well came up to me and gave me a compliment about my appearance, and I could literally feel myself blushing. I said thank you, and then I headed back to my desk. But inside my head, I was already churning...Why did she say that? That was nice of her, but it's not true.

Now, I don't know if lots of women struggle with this or not. But I know a few who do, and I am one of them. I just don't seem to know how to take a compliment well. I start to blush, I act flustered, I get embarrassed. I don't know how to respond. I have learned over the years how to outwardly respond more graciously to compliments, i.e. thanking people for their kind words. But inwardly, I still struggle with the proper response. Why am I questioning another person's sincerity? Am I giving off a false sense of modesty and humility?

I am not my own. I was bought with a price. I was created and formed by THE GOD that made the heavens and the earth and all living things. So when I laugh off or reject the kind words of others, am I rejecting the gift of GOD in my life? Am I mocking the beauty of HIS creation? I hope not. But just thinking about this today has me challenging myself to be careful how I respond to compliments.

Psalm 139:13-15 [NKJV]
For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
LORD, thank you for making me the way that you did. I am your handiwork. Help me to be more grateful of that fact. Help me to receive compliments more graciously from others. YOU do not make mistakes, LORD. Help me to be a reflection of YOUR beauty and the joy of my Salvation.

No comments: