Tuesday, September 2, 2008

It Was a Good Weekend Part II

SUNDAY
I returned back to College Park Church this week to hear their new pastor. It was an awesome service, and I confess there was a tug on my heart to return again, but I'm going to just keep praying about it. I'm planning to visit a couple more churches in the weeks ahead, and so we'll just see how things go. I want to make sure that I am going where GOD wants me and not just basing a decision on what would be easy, convenient, comfortable, etc.

I watched Ivanhoe on Sunday evening. It has been years since I saw the movie or read Sir Walter Scott's book. I've always preferred Rebecca to Rowena as the heroine of the novel. I like Rebecca's quiet strength and discipline. I know that someone is going to hate me for comparing the 2 novels like this, but Ivanhoe is a bit like Sense and Sensibility in that way. I respect and admire Edward Ferrars for the way he upholds his youthful pledge of love to Lucy Steele, and yet I breathe a sigh of relief every time I read the book and learn that is it is Lucy who frees Edward from their engagement by pursuing his brother. Ivanhoe doesn't have that kind of an ending, but I like it all the same. I understand why it is Rowena that Ivanhoe marries, and while the romantic in me wants to see love conquer all, I don't see how it could work for Ivanhoe and Rebecca. OK, I confess, I might have had just a bit too much time on my hands to think about this.

MONDAY

I went up to Kokomo for the day to see my sister and her family. Instead of grilling out or having a picnic, we all went to McDonald's for lunch. Why you may ask? Well, going to a McDonalds with a playland was a reward for nearly 3-year-old Grace for staying dry for a full week. Yes, my sister only has 1 more to potty train now. WOOHOO!! I'm so proud of Grace! And since Harrison is only 7 months, that is going to be a while. It was fun watching Grace and Jacob play with such exuberance. I loved it!



My sister and I did some shopping while the kids napped, and then Jacob, Grace, Thorn and I watched a movie and goofed off while their parents and Harrison went grocery shopping. I do love the family dog Thorn. He is a bit too excited to show you love. I have the scratches to prove it since he likes to jump on you and basically "dance with you," but he's very sweet.

Almost 6-year-old Jacob made my day. First of all, as we were heading out to lunch, he informed me that he liked my purse. Now I don't know when he started paying attention to accessories, but I liked hearing it all the same. Then later in the afternoon he informed me that I looked like a princess. WOW! That made me smile. Now I must admit that about 1 minute after giving me a serendipitous compliment, he asked if I was going to come back to the living room so we could play a game on the Wii, and so maybe there was an ulterior motive there. But hey, we single girls will take all the compliments we can get. Hee hee!

It was a pretty fabulous weekend all in all. Thank you, LORD!

No comments: