Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Rocks Will Rise Up

Tonight I was feeling a bit tired and just wanted to stay home from Bible study. But at 6 PM, I headed out to the car, CD in hand and started on my drive to Plainfield anyway. I listened to "In Christ Alone: New Hymns of Prayer & Worship" by Margaret Becker, Marie Brennan and Joanne Hogg. My sister gave me this CD a couple of years ago, and I am only now discovering the depth of the lyrics and enjoying the songs.

Now most of you know, I grew up in a rather strict, fundamentalist Christian home. Church was very serious, and our worship followed suit. There was no raising of holy hands to heaven, no moving or swaying to the rhythm, no tapping of toes or clapping to the beat. Worship was solemn and serene.

I love hymns. I always will, but as an adult, I have really come to love praise songs and contemporary worship as well. And lately, I've been fighting the compulsion to get a bit more physical with my worship. My legs have suddenly started to move on their own, and I've caught myself more than once clasping my hands in front of me to prevent me from raising them high. WHY?

Tonight we read Luke 19:37-40 about how Jesus said that if the disciples failed to praise him the rocks would rise up and do it. And suddenly, I knew the scripture where the song "Hear All Creation" on my CD came from, and I knew without a doubt that I was meant to be at Bible study tonight. I needed to hear that reference.
Hear all creation lift its voice
Hear mountains sing and the rivers rejoice
For the name of Jesus
For His name

And we His people saved by grace
We bow our hearts and we bring our praise
To the sweet redeemer
For His name

So with everything we are
And everything we have
We pour out our offerings
And if ever we should fail
The rocks will rise up
And crown Him the King of kings


He mends our hearts, He keeps our ways
He lights our nights and He leads our days
All for His glory
For His name

There's nothing greater than to be His
To bring Him glory and to fully live
For the name of Jesus
For His name
LORD, please teach me to worship with my whole being. To bow and surrender to YOUR will alone. Remind me that worship is not about those around me...it's about YOU and only YOU!!

No comments: