Thursday, August 28, 2008

Biker Girl Rides Again

I took another long and invigorating bike ride last night. I struggled on the way to the Greenway and couldn't figure out what was wrong, and then it finally dawned on me why. I was riding against the wind. HELLO! That is a factor when you are on a bicycle, and if I am going to be biker girl, I need to remind myself of these obvious facts. Hee hee! It did however make for a better ride on the way home with the wind pushing me onward. Now that I liked.

Riding a bike makes me think of my favorite spot in Michigan, Mackinac Island. I just love it up there. My last visit was nearly 2 years ago, but I have such good memories of the island going way, way back. I like the simplicity of it. There is lots of tourist stuff, naturally, but in a way, you still feel like you are stepping back into another time or something like that. I love how there are no cars on the island so that all the traffic is by foot, bicycle or horse. And yes, following horses can make for an interesting bike ride. SPLAT! (No more details needed, I'm sure.)

I never get tired of visiting that spot, taking the ferry over from the mainland, seeing the sights, riding the 8 miles around the island, enjoying the varigated colors of the water, admiring the rock formations, etc. It's all just incredible.

OK, now I'm thinking about Mackinac fudge, and that just won't do. [sigh!] I'm off to eat my morning yogurt now. WOOHOO!!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm so glad you're getting good use out of the bike (rather than it collecting dust in my garage). And thanks for the Mackinac reminders! I really want to take Jonathan up there some day, and of course take the kids when they are old enough to bike it. But let's definitely not talk about fudge...

Melanie said...

I know, I could use a trip to the UP again, too. I miss it up there. I've been dreaming of peanut butter fudge all morning. Why did I have to think about the fudge? :)

Lisa said...

Mmmm Fudge! If you think about fudge (a lot), does that count as a WW point? HeeHee!! I love Mackinac. I haven't been there for about 4 years or so. It's just so peaceful.