Friday, August 22, 2008

Sharing a Laugh

I came into work this morning and instantly smelled something wonderful. It was a slightly familiar smell to me. What was it? I wasn’t sure I could place that delicious aroma that was wafting the office halls. But even if I couldn’t have it, I just had to know. So, I walked around the corner to the kitchen, headed to get my morning yogurt, and there I saw it on the infamous party table. A white box with several delicately shaped pastries of oooooey goodness! Yes, someone had brought in a box of donuts. YIKES!

I took a deep cleansing breath, retrieved my Yoplait Light from the fridge and headed back to my desk, where I burst out laughing at the irony.

Very funny, LORD!” I said with a smile. You don’t think HE is in the little things? Well, I think HE is.

All week I’ve been far too serious, too analytical, too much in my own head. I’ve been trying to make sense of some things, I’ve sent long rambling messages that confused even me, and I’ve been unable to concentrate fully on much. Yes, I didn’t feel well for about 3 days this week, but that’s no excuse. I’ve been, quite frankly, a mess.

So do you still think it’s just a coincidence that someone brought my favorite food in the whole wide world into the office today? I don’t. I think, GOD knew that I just needed to laugh, that I needed to stop spinning and just laugh. You see, there is a little bit more to the story...

Today just happens to be my 5-month anniversary of being donut-free. Yes, it’s true. I last consumed a donut on March 22, 2008. Maybe it’s a bit obsessive to track it like that, but like I said, donuts have long been my favorites. Now, I technically didn’t discover the anniversary until my friend (we’ll call him Kaleb) decided to blog about powdered donuts yesterday, and so naturally I felt compelled to tease him about that. And it was then that I calculated that today would be my 5-month anniversary of becoming donut-free.

See, why I’m laughing? I don’t think it’s just a coincidence at all. I think this morning was a funny moment between a FATHER and HIS daughter. HE's letting me know that HE is paying attention. I’m still here, Mel.

Now maybe you are wondering if I am going to eat one of those donuts...NAH! Donuts and I don’t have that kind of a relationship any more, but every time I walk by that party table, I smile. Thank you, LORD! I needed that...

2 comments:

Kaleb said...

funny!! donuts for you; icecream for me - we all have our favorites.

congratulations on the anniversary!

Melanie said...

Thanks! Ice cream is pretty high on my list, too.