Saturday, August 9, 2008

To Live Forever

As an IMA volunteer, I like to get in to see the new exhibits promptly so that I can be informed about them and answer questions. Sadly because of my crazy summer, it took me a few weeks to get a chance to see the new To Live Forever. This is the traveling exhibit of Egyptian treasures from the Brooklyn Museum, and I would recommend that you spend the $12 per adult ticket from now until September 7th. It is a must-see, even if you aren't an Egyptian history fanatic like some.

Personally, I've loved anything ancient Egyptian since junior high. Not sure what started my fascination with the culture, but for a few years I read all I could about ancient Egypt, and I even considered archaeology as a prospective field of study. I think it was the realization that I might run into a spider or two on a dig that finished off those career plans. AHEM! Anyway I digress.

The IMA does not have a large Egyptian collection themselves. However, next time you are on the 2nd floor of the museum, head to the African galleries and just inside you will spot a standing sarcophagus (hard to miss), some jewelry and a few canopic jars that are on display regularly.

To Live Forever has over 100 objects to enjoy and is rather impressive. I'm sure it is nothing like touring the Valley of the Kings, but it was still pretty awesome...and spider-free. It was an incredible taste of ancient Egypt to this curious one who has yet to collect that Egypt stamp in her passport. If you are in the city, check it out.

No comments: