Sunday, June 1, 2008

I Love Downtown

I’ve been missing being downtown more. I miss walking on the canal, visiting the Indiana World War Memorial, exploring the tunnels connecting Circle Centre and the statehouse, eating my lunch on the circle, enjoying the Strawberry Festival, running to the mall for last-minute birthday gifts on my lunch break, raiding TJMaxx once a week, etc.

For 4 years, I had all those opportunities and more 5 days a week, but then I switched jobs. Now I do like it here on our little self-contained campus on the city’s Northwest side. There are a lot of advantages – parking for one! But some days, I still miss working downtown.

So on Saturday, I called Becky and asked if she was up for a downtown walk, and she was in. We started at the library and made our way South on Meridian, exploring the monuments and taking lots of photos. I think the Indiana World War Memorial is my favorite building in the city. I just love it. I think I have visited it half a dozen times, and yet I always spot something I haven’t noticed before. If you have never visited the building, I would highly reccomend it. The Shrine Room is a must-see. It is unlike anything I have ever seen before. I also like Cenotaph Square, the Obelisk fountain, the Depew Fountain, and the Sailors and Soldiers' Monument as well. The Indiana Statehouse and the Scottish Rite Cathedral are also must-see sites.

Hey, did you know that Indianapolis is second only to Washington D.C. in the number of monuments dedicated to veterans? Well, now you know. I should totally be leading actual downtown tours. That would be such fun!

Maybe while I will always be a Michigan girl, I can still grow to love and appreciate other places, too. And I must say that Indianapolis is climbing the charts!

No comments: