Friday, June 6, 2008

Just Fantastick!

Something about going to a live performance always makes me giddy. I'm home. I should be in bed or getting ready for bed. I should be brushing my teeth or washing my face. I should be selecting what I am wearing tomorrow so that I won't grumble about it in the morning. But no, I'm wide awake and wired. I want to get up and dance around the apartment singing Try to Remember at the top of my lungs. I doubt my house plants would be amused with my less than graceful moves, and my neighbors might not be too fond of a midnight performance either, but I'm high. High on life!

Something about music theatre or even watching musicals on DVD makes me happy. I don't always seek them out. My movie collection is full of just about every genre out there, but sometimes, I just want to express the joy of being alive, the joy of feeling, and somehow a musical houses those emotions for me.

After all, it's hard to be downhearted when you are singing a song from Rodgers & Hammerstein. Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things...

And it's difficult to avoid being mesmerized by love's spell with Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe. I could have danced all night and still have begged for more. I could have spread my wings and done a thousand things I've never done before...

And now, I have discovered the magic liltings of Tom Jones & Harvey Schmidt and The Fantasticks. Until this evening, I didn't know the story and didn't know most of the songs either, but it was a fabulous introduction. The song, music and dance was delightful and the acting was superb. What an incredible evening! If you get a chance, you should definitely see it.
Try to remember the kind of September
When life was slow and oh, so mellow.
Try to remember the kind of September
When grass was green and grain was yellow.
Try to remember the kind of September
When you were a tender and callow fellow.
Try to remember, and if you remember,
Then follow.

Follow, follow, follow, follow, follow,
Follow, follow, follow, follow...

No comments: