Thursday, June 12, 2008

Poor Margaret!

This piece from the IMA's American collection has always appealed to me. I've photographed it several times (without flash, of course). But none of my photos really do it justice. I believe the young girl in the portrait is named Margaret, and it is her haunting gaze that captivates me. What is she thinking? What does she feel? Did she have a hard life ahead of her?

The choice of frame really puzzles me. This is a simple lovely portrait of young Margaret gazing out at us, and she is stuck in this monstrous, ornamental frame. Why did the artist selet such a frame for this gentle portrait?

Poor Margaret! I feel like she is stuck in the gaudy wooden structure when she was meant to be left wild and free. I've said it before, and I'm sure, I'll say it again: I think too much!

No comments: