Friday, June 20, 2008

Thank You for the Music

I know some people think I am obsessed with the 70's and 80's music. That is simply not true. I'm very selective about my addictions. I don't like the whole era. I might have been born back in that day, but I certainly wasn't allowed to listen to that music way back when. In truth, I'm actually quite uninformed about the era. My parents' tastes were more into Patch the Pirate and other music that had the stamp of approval from Bob Jones University, and that certainly didn't include ABBA, which is a shame really.

Tonight, I am going to the Symphony on the Prairie's performance of ABBA: The Hits, which includes a group that sings the ABBA songs. The evening is being marketed as follows:
"This Swedish cover band not only sounds like ABBA, but they look like them, too! Spiced up with the accompaniment of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, hear your favorites...."
Now, doesn't that sound like a lot of fun to be had? COME ON!!!

I just found out yesterday that this performance was happening this weekend. I nearly missed it, and believe you me, there would have been such major drama hitting the fan if fate had not intervened. HA! I would have been really disappointed to miss it. Usually I keep an eye out for stuff like this, but somehow I hadn't heard the word. My friend Kristen said she saw a blip about it on the IBJ, and she knew at once that she needed to alert me. I have the best friends! Once I found out about it, it was a must-do event, and the 2 of us are going together. We'll have lots of laughs and conversation The Way Old Friends Do.

Topher is the one that got me hooked on ABBA. I blame him entirely. Thank You For the Music! Some time after college, Topher told me that I'd probably like their music, I checked it out, and I loved it. I've been a fan of the classic sounds ever since. Songs like Dancing Queen, Mamma Mia, Honey Honey, Waterloo, Take a Chance on Me, Head Over Heels...are just some of my favorites. But nothing compares to The Day Before You Came. It's a simple song, but I like the message...the romantic sap in me that wants to find a love of her own adores this song! [sigh!] I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do. Maybe that's a bit pathetic, but People Need Love. And it's hard when I've Been Waiting For You [whoever you are] for So Long. I Am Just a Girl wondering Should I Laugh or Cry...

OOPS! I totally got caught up in getting as many song titles in here as I could. OK, so maybe I'm a little obsessed, but That's Me. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this concert, and since I never saw the actual group perform live, I can fake myself out and pretend it's the real thing. I think it's OK to be in a Dream World once in a while When All is Said and Done.

Happy Weekending!

No comments: